Can you design siek spreads like this with one hand tied behind your back, while you’re duct-taped to a chair?
If so, Zigzag magazine needs you. We like employees with special skills – our previous online editor could do a crazy impersonation of a monkey.
Zag is looking for a new senior designer to handle design across both titles we publish, Zigzag Surfing Magazine and Saltwater Girl – full details of the requirements and responsibilities are listed below.
Although we like monkeying around, we’re serious about producing a quality magazine, so no chancers.
SENIOR DESIGNER: Zigzag and Saltwater GIRL Magazines
The Boardsports unit within the Lifestyle Division of Media 24 magazines is looking for a senior designer to work across Zigzag and Saltwater GIRL magazines.
Key responsibilities for the role:
- Create a compelling editorial and visual bond with the reader through a unique design vision that adheres to brand’s established guidelines.
- Undertake the design and layout functions of the magazines, editorial and non-editorial marketing and promotional material including, but not limited to, promotional features, supplements, below-the-line advertising and subscription materials for the publication, incl. posters, wobblers, banners, CDs, etc.
- Maintain design standards. Design within the standards, look and feel of the specific magazine.
- Conduct final checks on layouts. To always control and check layouts and pdfs before sending final material to print.
- Follow the brief given by the editor and deliver final material within the time frame given.
- Collaborate and work within a team environment to enhance overall product offering across the mediums of print, online or mobile.
- Generate fresh design ideas. Keep up with latest design / layout ideas, technology and computer software programs.
- Design for digital platforms – including, but not limited to, website, digital editions as well as Apps.
Key skills required include:
- Attention to detail
- Ability to manage deadlines and time-management (critical)
- Surfing…candidate must be a keen surfer (non-negotiable)
- Previous magazine experience is essential.
Must be competent in:
- Adobe creative suite…In particular Indesign and Photoshop
- Preparing PDFs for print
- Repro ie: being able to see a job through from concept to print
- Colour retouching
Availability: 1 Sept 2012
Benefits: Pension, Medical Aid