Home Click


Winners Announced – We Make It Sic! 2014

by admin / posted on 20 hours ago

The deadline for 2014’s WE MAKE IT SIC competition is up, and the final winners have been selected. With so many great entries pouring through, competition was tough this year. While there’s been many great ideas and solid effort put into this year’s designs, only three can walk away with the R30 000’s worth of […]


Red Tide, Take Two

by admin / posted on 21 hours ago

The pictures speak for themselves but the coastline along PE, looking somewhat apocalyptic, does spark at least some inquiry. Not the funnest conditions for a quick dawnie before work that’s for sure. After looking at the photographs, our heads tweaked slightly to the side in bewilderment, we decided to get some first-hand information from PE […]


Frank Solomon broken in Ireland

by admin / posted on 5 days ago

With the Winter swell jacking into full-throttle over in the Northern Hemisphere, many of our Saffa chargers have temporarily migrated to test their mettle on some of the world’s heaviest breaks. Unfortunately, as a result, the waves aren’t the only things that end up breaking. Frank Solomon fell victim to this after charging in Ireland […]


Shooting Hawaii – with Chris Van Lennep

by admin / posted on 6 days ago

Yesterday afternoon we were visited by old friend and legendary surf photographer, Chris Van Lennep. He soon had our ears open as wide as our smiles with an impromptu chat-turned-interview about what it takes to photograph some of the more challenging reefs along the North Shore of Hawaii. Over the years, Van Lennep has gained […]


Dungeons and Dragonslayers – By Andrew Pieterse

by zigzag / posted on 17 November, 2014

Some surfers paddle out when it’s massive, while others don’t. Andrew Pieterse recalls the day a line was drawn between his peers that would go on to charge place like Dungeons and those that wouldn’t. ‘Dungeons and Dragonslayers’ is his entry into ‘Write to Surf‘ – our surf journo competition with some epic prizes up […]


A Shameful Day for South African Surfing

by zigzag / posted on 17 November, 2014

Dropping-in is wrong 95% of the time. The other 5% of the time it’s a total accident, while other times perhaps somebody hasn’t waited their turn. But dropping in intentionally during a women’s-only surf contest, with competitors as young as nine years old, is wrong 100% of the time. This was the scenario that played […]


Prove It! – Jeremy Johnson

by zigzag / posted on 13 November, 2014

Last month the ASP announced that they’d be considering video submissions from big wave surfers who think they’d be a good candidate to compete on next year’s Big Wave World Tour (BWWT). Here Pete Mel explains the Prove It! BWWT video trials: This of course opens the door for South African chargers, like Jeremy Johnson, […]


Surf Ninja – Cameron Gouws

by zigzag / posted on 13 November, 2014

Surrounded by punchy beachbreaks and some heavy reefs, this underground shredder honed his skills at home in Kommetjie. It’s where many wave assassins have learned their art, and it’s obvious that he paid attention in tube class. Meet this week’s Surf Ninja, Cameron Gouws… NAME: Cameron Gouws AGE: 26 LOCAL SPOT: Long Beach or Misty […]


Find the Golden Ticket, Win a Quiver!

by zigzag / posted on 12 November, 2014

With each new issue of Zigzag, we’ve been giving away a quiver of three custom surfboards shaped by one of SA’s best shapers to one lucky reader. To win one of these quivers is simple – all you’ve got to do is find the Golden Ticket in your copy of the mag, like 11 year-old […]


High Altitude – by Alison Dell

by zigzag / posted on 11 November, 2014

It was for love that Alison Dell left the coast and relocated to Gauteng. In ‘High Altitude’, Alison considers whether only a [has been] surfer knows the feeling. ‘High Altitude’ is also an official entry into ‘Write to Surf‘ – our surf journo competition with some epic prizes up for grabs (see below for details). *** […]